Tuesday, August 12, 2014

My name is Judy and I'm a SCREAMER

I don't know about you, but I have become a screamer.  This was never my intention.  In fact I promised myself I wouldn't be the Mom who raises her voice all the time to get her point across.  I'll make a pact right now.  I promise I will maintain a calm, even toned voice when communicating with my children or asking them to do things.  What I have found over time, simply asking in a calm manner does not always work - leaving me no choice, but to raise my voice.

The thing is, my children are young now.  They know better than to scream back at me, so when I scream they usually comply with what I am asking them to do.  Here's the thing though - I don't want to be remembered as a screamer.  I don't want my children to think of their childhood and say, "Oh yeah, my Mom was always screaming about something."  Worse, when they get older, I don't want them to think it's normal to scream when they communicate to their family, spouse or child.

I try really hard.  I do.  I tell myself today I will speak calmly, in a thoughtful yet firm manner that commands respect.  I start off that way, but once I ask for something to be done 2, 3, 4 times my voice gets 2, 3, 4 times louder.  My children and I have the conversation, "How many times should I have to ask you to do something?"  My children respond with the obligatory, "Only 1 time."  Yet, sometimes they simply don't comply.

So here I go.  I will make a pact to remain calm and in control when communicating with my children. Maybe this time all will fall into place and screaming will become a thing of the past.  Fingers crossed!

How many times I've asked nicely before I've raised my voice

How about you?  Are you a screamer or do you maintain even-toned when communicating with your children?  What are your secrets?

photo credit: indrarado via photopin cc






Visit Top Mommy Blogs To Vote For Me


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS